We’re all guilty of not talking a lunch break and eating over our laptops at times. Even if we do step out for a “break,” we’re usually fiddling with our phones, checking emails, etc. Many PR professionals eat lunch at their desks. “Sixty-nine percent of PR professionals eat lunch at their desk rather than joining that chatty klatch heading out to a nearby deli, according to the PR Daily Salary and Job Satisfaction Survey” (PR Daily) With the year coming to a close, PR pros are especially busy planning for 2014, but it’s not an excuse to skip lunch.
Why it’s vital to take a lunch break
- Food=fuel. If you take some time for lunch, you’ll have more energy to tackle the next project.
- If you step away from your desk, you’ll be able to clear your mind and take a break from the digital world.
- Heidi Mitchell (WSJ) discusses other benefits of taking a lunch break in this video, “Is Taking a Lunch Break Better for Your Health?”
A few things you may want to do on your break
- Refuel, but not with coffee. Try an apple or fruit instead.
- Take your dog for a stroll if you’re nearby or work from home.
- Take some time to breathe in the fresh air to help relax your mind.
- Pamper yourself occasionally. Why not schedule a massage?
Like this post if you’re sitting at your desk reading on your “lunch break.”
Photo credit: NatalieMaynor / Foter.com / CC BY