I’m on my way back from The Clean Show, where there was tremendous interest in my TRSA-sponsored educational session, “Crisis Communications: A Practical Guide to Protecting Your Reputation.” Whether they were commercial laundry operators or others in the textile industry, attendees recognized the importance of communicating effectively in a crisis.
Among the highlights of my presentation were:
- Having a crisis response plan that includes communications protocols for media, customers and other key audiences.
- Identifying a spokesperson who can represent the company well.
- Dos and don’ts of media interviews, focusing on honest, open communications.
- Preparing talking points that drive all answers in media interviews.
- Incorporating social media in a crisis communications plan
- The role of leadership in navigating a crisis effectively.
Following the presentation, TRSA hosted a press conference to unveil results of a new survey that reported business and consumer perspectives on service professionals wearing uniforms. The conference also unveiled the new TRSA animated video we developed with videographer Tom Donnelly.
Opening day on the trade show floor was eye opening with the size of the equipment and advanced technology used by the commercial laundry industry TRSA represents. For me, it was a valuable window into an important, far-reaching industry.